A Gastronomic Travel to Jamaica's Restaurants

I certainly believe that a restaurant experience is made of quality food, quality ingredients, ambiance and service. Who does not enjoy a meal better when your palate is spoiled with the most delicious flavours, the freshness of the ingredients used in the preparation and, first and foremost, the service provided by the staff that works at that place? I am sure that you will be nodding a yes to this question... it is true! A culinary experience is COMPLETE only when those factors converge. Otherwise, there is something missing.

The idea behind this Blog is to start on a blank slate... let me say that I want to give a new opportunity to Jamaica's gastronomic scene... and I want to try it because it has grown and I am happy to see how new places appear and old place get a facelift!

However, this is not a one man's show... I want the help and recommendations of readers who, like me, enjoy the eating out experience. I'll be reporting on what I taste, smell, see and, particularly, on the way I am treated as a paying customer... we cannot forget that we are talking about money and we want QUALITY.

2008/09/28

Poll Winner: Dragon Court


As promised, I headed this past Sunday to Dragon Court on South Avenue for a little Chinese.

DC is definitely a good restaurant and is not expensive at all.


Although their food selection isn’t much different from what you find in other places that hoist this culinary flag, they make sure that their guests are well served and feel welcome.

This welcome starts from entrance door where a smiling host is waiting for you and invites you to be seated.

Moreover, servers and managers are very nice and they are always passing around the tables to check that everything is going well. No wonder why this place is often full of smiling clients and people wanting to celebrate.

I do not recall visiting DC without witnessing a celebration taking place.

This time wanted to try something that I had not tried before from their menu and I went for their SALT CHILI SHRIMPS. I was delighted to get that chili kick from the first shrimp that I ate. This is a dish that I recommend blindfolded.

Try also their Fish in Black Bean Sauce and their CHICKEN WITH BROCCOLI. These are exceptional and out of this world.

When visiting Chinese restaurants, I always advice friends to be adventurous. Often times, you will be pleasantly surprised. Trying something new will make you aware of the kaleidoscopic variety of flavors of Chinese cuisine.

You might end up with a different new favorite Chinese dish, which was the case for me this time.

So, dear blog readers, although I am still in the quest for the best Chinese in town, I can honestly say that the poll recommendation was accurate and DC was the best out of that list.

A piece of advice though, DC should pay a little more attention to their restroom facilities. Maintaining this place clean and presentable at all times adds up to the dining experience.

There is nothing worse than going to a nice place that has an awful restroom. That latter image could stay in your head and mar your dinner or lunch.

Dear blog readers visit Dragon Court and recommend this place to all your friends.

Keep on eating!




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the mark of a good Chinese restaurant are the dishes they serve apart from the standard Sweet & Sours, Black Beans, Fried Rice etc. and totally agree with JG on trying out new dishes at any reputable Chinese restaurant. Though, do a little investigation to make sure that you are familiar with the main ingredients...eggplant, if you hate it, will not necessarily taste good at a Chinese restaurant.
Dragon Court also has dishes off the menu, which are fantastic...I'm not sure why they're not on the menu, but it seems a number of Chinese restaurants do this to cater to their Chinese clientelle. Ask the manager or owner if he would recommend anything...you may find hidden treasures...I have.
As JG has already pointed out...you will often find a table full of Chinese people eating out of bowls, shouting away at each other in Mandarin. Now, I'll pass on the tripe and some other questionable dishes that they're having, but some of it is also delicious...the managers will usually know what suits their non-Chinese clientelle more.
Thanks again for another review JG.

Anonymous said...

Great restaurant and agreed lots of real chinese ppl there...which in my mind says alot...One of my favorite spots...

Anonymous said...

Love this place. Should try out the dim sum there too!

Anonymous said...

I have heard the DIM SUM is the BEST! But it's kind of one their best kept secrets.

I am not really a morning person during the weekends.

Does anybody know when and what time this takes place?

IrieDiva said...

last time i went to east japanese and did the adventurous thing (ordered ceviche) i was not pleased! not by the cooking, i know nothing about ceviche to know if it was good or bad...but maybe i should have enquired first cus it was raw (yech!) i love DC but im not sure i'll be doing adventurous again anytime soon! that chile shrimp sounds like a good choice.

Anonymous said...

Was just at Dragon Court on Sunday for Dim Sum - absolutely amazingly delicious!!!! I really highly recommend it! Service not great, but this seems to be the main concern of most reviews on this blog, but the Dim Sum is just a really interesting way to spend your Sunday morning - we arrived just before 12ish and the place was buzzing. People - it is worth getting out of bed for - give it a try, you won't regret it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks JG, It is a a very good restaurant. And yes, I had Dim Sum there once in word "enjoyable." Note, I had lost a pair of sunglasses there and they called me after I left the establishment to tell me I had left them, that is a rare thing these days.