A Gastronomic Travel to Jamaica's Restaurants

I certainly believe that a restaurant experience is made of quality food, quality ingredients, ambiance and service. Who does not enjoy a meal better when your palate is spoiled with the most delicious flavours, the freshness of the ingredients used in the preparation and, first and foremost, the service provided by the staff that works at that place? I am sure that you will be nodding a yes to this question... it is true! A culinary experience is COMPLETE only when those factors converge. Otherwise, there is something missing.

The idea behind this Blog is to start on a blank slate... let me say that I want to give a new opportunity to Jamaica's gastronomic scene... and I want to try it because it has grown and I am happy to see how new places appear and old place get a facelift!

However, this is not a one man's show... I want the help and recommendations of readers who, like me, enjoy the eating out experience. I'll be reporting on what I taste, smell, see and, particularly, on the way I am treated as a paying customer... we cannot forget that we are talking about money and we want QUALITY.

2008/09/17

Hectic weeks! Jamaican, Japanese and more!


I have had some hectic weeks after Hurricane Gustav, but here is a compendium of what I have tried lately.

I was desirous of trying the new place at the Orchid Village, but it all resulted in disappointment when the person at the gate showed his lack of vision of what a new business place should offer.

This was on a Friday's night and the place is supposed to have a live band. Our party of eight was asked to pay for the cover, but we mentioned to this person that we were there for tapas and drinks.I was longing to try Chef Abrahams' tapas.

I am still curious about Jamaican tapas, since this Spanish concept is an art in various international cities.

The place was empty and he did not see that we would be ending up spending more money eating than sitting for a show that we did not want to see.

If you ask ME, you guys started off on the wrong foot!

Businesses need to know that they are to lure their clientele in different ways. If you want to put this new place in the Jamaican scene, it will not suffice to stick with old formulae.

This lack of vision made us run to Guilt Trip and let me tell you that this was the BEST thing that could have happened to us.

GT's food is excellent and their menu is whimsical and innovative.

I went for shrimp on a passion fruit sauce and it was FANTASTIC!

Unfortunately, GT's lack of change shows some neglect.

The place looks old fashioned. Dim light, plastic chairs and tables and poorly presented menus contribute to the allure of neglect that is effacing this place out of the Jamaican culinary scene.

Imagine, I had forgotten about it and I believe that my last visit was in 2006.

I hope that your comments on this post reach their ears, because it is really a pity that such a magical place falls in disgrace like that.

Nonetheless, pay a visit to GT and enjoy their dishes, but let them know that CHANGE is important for survival.

They need to revisit their concept, update their decor and illumination and reprint some new menus. This will be enough to re-launch this place and give it a deserved spot on Jamaican culinary scene.

I also had the chance to go back to East Japanese Restaurant at the Market Place.

What a delight!

This is my favorite spot in Kingston... without a doubt!

Excellent service, quality food and outstanding concept COHERENCE!

Every meal there is a fantastic trip to Japanese cuisine. It could be as simple as a Sashimi Platter or as complex as their lobster roll.

I recommend every single one of their dishes.

What I would recommend to EAST is to take advantage of our interest in Japanese food and introduce us to a monthly special. Let us try something new and let us learn more about this fantastic cuisine!

Thumbs up for their quality, service and growing improvement!

So, my dear blog readers, remember that we shape Kingston's culinary scene and it is because of us that these places remain, stagnate, improve or simply disappear. Let them know that they should care about what they offer!

Keep on eating.... SAYONARA

10 comments:

tanyadblake said...

My Fav resturant, EAST JAPAN, their service is very good

Liliana said...

Hi! Who are you?? You definitely stole my idea.. I took too long to start writing my comments about not only restaurants but so many tourist attractions. I love a good dining experience and totally agree with you that it requires a combination of ambiance, food quality and presentation, and ... the hard to find SERVICE... Enjoyed reading your comments because of your friendly style and easy to read words. Can I help improve Mo Bay's scene with my comments??

LV

Liliana said...

Me again! If you are Jamaican and Kingstonian you will know then that the best times of Guilt Trip were around 1994 when Colin had just returned from the US and open Guilt Trip. He made a revolution with his ingredients and presentation. I was so happy to see Jamaicans discover the magic of passion fruit, the concept of a cake not having to be too sweet to still be great. The names he chose for the cakes were dearing you to enter a world of pleasure with no end! Colin turned around the meaning of pastry for Kingston with a creative combination of flavour, color and presentation. He became sought after for every birthday and wedding cake, of course, if you could afford his prices! The whole dining experience came after but I will forever associate Guilt Trip with the best cakes in town! I Hope your comments can help bring the magic to Guilt Trip again!

Anonymous said...

Jamaica Gourmet,

Wow - you have been busy! Ok, I had been informed of this tapas place at Orchid Village (isn't it funny how we don't remember the name - I remember a small sign somewhere, but not significant to leave a lasting impression). I decided to go with a friend one evening, but to be honest I was a little put off by the decor of the place. It sits perched on top of the Orchid Village complex, but the bars, although I know are essential for security, resemble a prison from the outside. Could the bars be painted in a bright colour perhaps? Music was really blaring there too, and that is not my idea of a relaxing midweek bite to eat with a firend, so I went elsewhere this time. I will return, as I hear it is good. Can anybody review this place and its tapas please? I for one would love to know, as the concept is really great.

I must admit to loving Guilt Trip. Liliana spoke lots about their cakes, but their eclectic and tempting menu is also very impressive. I love their pastas, and their waiters are very good, perhaps the best I've seen in Kingston, above and beyond Aubergine's guys! Friendly and effecient, while attentive and considerate in their recommendations for each guest. Yes, the place is a bit shabby, but I love it!! Contrary to public opinion, this place is NOT expensive, so please give it a try.

East Japanese is also a favourite of mine. The food is definitely great - I have yet to see anybody dissatisfied with the quality of food there. As the place can get really really busy, service can be a little lackadaisical at times, and I must aadmit to having a row with one of the narrow-minded managers there. To make a long story really short, one of my friend's meal never arrived, even after we all had dessert. Having complained umpteen times during the meal, this elusive meal never appeared! The manager's attitude to the whole situation was really lamentable! Nevertheless, I have been back several times, and really do love the place - in fact, I think I'll book for tonight! The sauce that goes with the lobster temopura is the nicest I have ever tried!!!

TopDoc said...

Great Blog but as usual in Jamaica everything centers around Kingston. Hello, what about us here in the country?!! Ochi has some wonderful small restaurants - great food, rustic ambiance and down-home service. Maybe a trip to the country and a night (or day) out with a local might open your mind and tittilate your palate!! Seriously, for a small town Ochi has a vibrant food scene from the obvious standards like Toscanini, Passage to India and Evita's to the smaller spots like Miss T's Bellyful (b'fast and lunch only) and Mom's. Be adventurous, take a drive and discover the gastronomic delights of the North Coast. Peace - Out.

Anonymous said...

Hey TopDoc!

Thanks for your comment!

I am very thankful of the messages that I have received and the way people have accepted this BLOG.

It started as Kingaton idea, because I have my place of abode here. But I am considering requests for MoBay and Ochi very seriously.

I am aware that their culinary scene is VERY interesting and their service is most of the times better than Kingston.

Re.... I'll need your help and the help of other locals in this MISSION: recomend some places and if you want, we could co-write a review!

Join my facebook for updates and direct chatting!

Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Looking for somewhere nice to go with my girlfriends for a bridal shower, is East a good address?

Anonymous said...

I would imagine it is a good place for parties too, such as a bridal shower, however, it tends to get quite busy and service is fairly rapid, so you might be expected to leave fairly swiftly after the meal. Nevertheless, I'm sure when making the reservation you can explain taht your group will be needing the table for a specific few hours. Food wise it is worth it, as there is something for everyone and they have an okay list of cocktails! I say give it a try!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your input and tip about blocking the table by reservation for a specific time period. Will definately try it out.

Anonymous said...

Are you speaking of Village Bar?
I went there a couple times since it has been re-opened and have been horribly disappointed. The kebabs were cold. The wings were not bad, but cold as well. The service was horrible. The bartender and waitress were one and the same. How can you have a bar and not have any waiters/waitresses. The young lady was very pleasant, and i could see she was really trying to make the best of the situation, which only made it obvious that the place suffers from really shoddy management.
Another thing I could not believe when I visited the bar was that they had run out of Vodka (at 11:30pm on a Thursday night). Then to top it off, i heard when the bartender/waitress went over to the owner I believe, who seemed not to care enough to hide it, gave her some money and instructed her to go fetch some from the gas station... which took almost 45 minutes for somewhere around the corner.
I am impressed with the new decor, compared to the shambles it was in before it is a great improvement, it is just a pity that the product is nowhere near as good as it's packaging.