A Gastronomic Travel to Jamaica's Restaurants

I certainly believe that a restaurant experience is made of quality food, quality ingredients, ambiance and service. Who does not enjoy a meal better when your palate is spoiled with the most delicious flavours, the freshness of the ingredients used in the preparation and, first and foremost, the service provided by the staff that works at that place? I am sure that you will be nodding a yes to this question... it is true! A culinary experience is COMPLETE only when those factors converge. Otherwise, there is something missing.

The idea behind this Blog is to start on a blank slate... let me say that I want to give a new opportunity to Jamaica's gastronomic scene... and I want to try it because it has grown and I am happy to see how new places appear and old place get a facelift!

However, this is not a one man's show... I want the help and recommendations of readers who, like me, enjoy the eating out experience. I'll be reporting on what I taste, smell, see and, particularly, on the way I am treated as a paying customer... we cannot forget that we are talking about money and we want QUALITY.

2008/09/02

CHILITOS (CHILL-EAT-OS) on Hope Road


JA-MEXICAN food!

What a clever combination!

I have been to Chilitos several times and my view has fluctuated every time I go. I was sold on this idea since the very beginning, because it seemed to be a new option among the scarce selection of fast food places in Kingston. But sometimes, I feel that I am not very attracted to the place itself.


Let me explain...

Chilitos not only did it present itself like a new option... it was a "cool" option. They have created a quasi-lounge ambiance in that old house located on Hope Road that makes me want to see where they can go. Unfortunately, they have not gone further.


This place gives you the option of seating at their verandah or even their at their porch listening to NICE music, which says a lot about their relaxed atmosphere. They also have a room filled with posters of music artists, some sofas, chairs and magazines, which reminds me of a nice bar that I visited once in Paris.

The Parisian bar in question was an eclectic mixture of furniture, music and drinks that was called Le bar sans nom (The Unnamed Bar) and it was characterized for a very laid-back and hip atmosphere. Once, I even saw Sydney Pollack entering that bar and I immediately realized that the place was set to be full of amazing stories.

Chilitos has the laid-back effect place (unintended comparison) and it's full of young people and music. The managers are very nice and the concept is attractive. However, even though I am fascinated with the idea of having a JAMEX (TEXMEX) restaurant and I am in tune with the lounge idea, I feel that Chilitos needs to pay closer attention to some details, such as lighting, tidiness, concept coherence and customer comfort.


We were lacking the variety of TEXMEX cuisine in Kingston and I believe this is a good start.

Nonetheless, go there, try their TACO SALADS, their FLAUTAS, their BURRITOS and their CHIMICHANGAS. If you find yourself spoilt for choice, ask one of the staff members and they'll be delighted to advise you about their options. Go with their FRESH juice options, which is far better than a soda pop.

If you want to take full advantage of the JAMEX experience, try Chilitos on a day where they have a live music group. You will be in awe at the mixture of Texmex food and Jamaican underground ambiance.

So, my dear blog readers... are you up for Jamex tonight? If so, drop by Chilitos and don't forget to let them know that we are expecting MORE!

Keep on eating and demanding good service!




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

At first I was a bit skeptical of the place, i mean really?a solely outdoor eating restaurant in this heat? but it was definitely worth the visit. the staff is super friendly, the food is made in what feels like seconds and the juices are so fresh and delicious. they had a funky lounge that i really liked and the music that was there really set it off. what i like about it was that it isn't your typical Mexican joint. it's a bit indie and not at all conventional. if you're looking for somewhere laid back to just chill in a hammock on your wireless and drink some nice margaritas with chips and guacamole, this is the place.

Anonymous said...

Chilitos is a great concept, but needs to overcome a few teething problems to be even more successful.

The place is certainly ecclectic, and the offering is definitely more Tex Mex than authentic Mexican food, but everything is tasty. Food is perhaps prepared TOO quickly at any attempt at Mexican cuisine deserves a little more TLC than whats offered at Chilitos, but the staff more than make up for this.

Although the idea of the funky lounge is cool, it really needs to be cleaned up and repainted - I know the impression the management want to give is relaxed and chilled, but it would be nicer to do this in cleaner surroundings I fear!

However, the idea is great, food is good, staff are very friendly, prices fair, a winning combination no doubt!

Anonymous said...

As I love Mexican food I was very excited about Chilitos...and after getting over some early issues with the menu (I think) the food is mucho better. Although I wouldn't say it's tex-mex, it's definitely more Jam-Mex.

But the setting is great, different, fun and the staff is always friendly which is not that common at eating establishments in this city.

Anonymous said...

I like Chilitos atmosphere- nice vibes and improving (although lose the plastic chairs outside)- the lounge-y room is cool with the album covers and the music (a bit loud sometime) but all in a cool place for a beer.

BUT... the food SUCKS as Mexican, Tex-Mex or anything else. It is cooked with sort-of Mexican ingredients with Jamaican seasoning- where is the lime and the cilantro in the flavour? even onions seem missing- Anchor cheese is not cutting it and I am not sure what the sour cream is.

WHERE IS THE SALSA BAR??? Higher end mexican places have good food, and hole-in-the-wall Mexican places have salsa bars where you can fill up with salsa verde, chipotle salsa, onions, limes, other salsas etc how you see fit.

WHERE IS THE QUESO MEXICANO???

WHERE IS THE SEAFOOD???

WHERE IS THAT BURRITO STEAMING MACHINE THAT EVERY MEXICAN PLACE HAS???

WHERE IS THE DOS EQUIS AND MODELO OR EVEN CORONA???

in their defense it has gone from being completely flavourless to now having some flavout, but they still really need to step back and evaluate their chow...

the service is nice but not well organised and I find it to be slow- one person preparing one dish, then asking the next person (even in the same party) what they want, instead of taking the orders and then dealing with it

I REALLY HOPE THEY READ THIS, CAUSE WE WANT GOOD MEX/TEX-MEX OR WHATEVER IN JAMAICA AND THEY HAVE A START VIBES-WISE, BUT I COOK BETTER MEXICAN AT MY YARD

Anonymous said...

Hi all,

This place is anything but Mexican - a little more authenticity please. Is the lack of attention to Mexican ingredients and ways of preparing food excused by giving it the name JaMexican food? What is Jamaican about their offering? Nothing I'm afraid, or maybe that is a blessing, as Jamaican cuisine and Mexican cuisine, while both successful independently, should not be fused, EVER. Their style is most definitely TEX-MEX, but prepared with whatever ingredients are readily available here on the Island - maybe this is where the dreadful label JaMexican comes from? Very little attention has been paid to seeking out either Mexican or Tex-Mex essential ingredients, as outlined in the last message. This place is not for me thanks!

js05 said...

does anyone know if this place has got any better ?