A Gastronomic Travel to Jamaica's Restaurants

I certainly believe that a restaurant experience is made of quality food, quality ingredients, ambiance and service. Who does not enjoy a meal better when your palate is spoiled with the most delicious flavours, the freshness of the ingredients used in the preparation and, first and foremost, the service provided by the staff that works at that place? I am sure that you will be nodding a yes to this question... it is true! A culinary experience is COMPLETE only when those factors converge. Otherwise, there is something missing.

The idea behind this Blog is to start on a blank slate... let me say that I want to give a new opportunity to Jamaica's gastronomic scene... and I want to try it because it has grown and I am happy to see how new places appear and old place get a facelift!

However, this is not a one man's show... I want the help and recommendations of readers who, like me, enjoy the eating out experience. I'll be reporting on what I taste, smell, see and, particularly, on the way I am treated as a paying customer... we cannot forget that we are talking about money and we want QUALITY.

2008/11/28

Thanksgiving Galore!


There I was, getting in late for my Thanksgiving dinner invitation at Susie’s. I have to say that I was kind of excited about Susie’s Bakery new phase. I had been to the bar and I was content with the experience, mostly because the service is outstanding. You see from the start that there is an interest from the ownership to satisfy the customer.


When I saw they were going to participate in KRW 2008, I was kind of puzzled because I was accustomed to the idea of Susie’s as a bakery. Although I knew about their lunch service on their both locations and even their very famous breakfast service on Sundays at Southdale Plaza, the idea of seeing Susie’s participating in the same category as East, Aubergine, Jewel of India and Strawberry Hill disoriented me a little.


From what I heard and the look at the menu that I took, their offer was remarkable and people’s comments were good. Everybody was recommending Susie’s as the new hottest spot in town. Therefore, the Thanksgiving dinner invitation was really the best opportunity to see Susie’s at its best.


Well, the menu, which I would have preferred to see in writing, was nice and although I was wanting a more traditional Thanksgiving dinner, the Jamaican Christmas selections were getting me already in the season’s spirit.


I asked for their lamb chops and let me tell you that these have been one of the best ones that I have tried in a long time. They were also offering rib eye steak, curried shrimp and sliced lamb.


We got our dishes and off we started to eat. I was not very satisfied with the presentation of my dish and I quickly glanced at my party and they all looked the same. I have to say that, presentation wise, these were not very attractive. I also have to mention that there were mixed feeling across the table and not everyone was as happy as I was with my chops.


This is to be taken care of because good service and quality food have to go hand in hand with a constant delivery of good flavor and presentation throughout their selection.


My advice to Susie’s is to tune up those details in order to achieve a flawless delivery. The key of a winning high-level dish is not in the exaggerated amount of food thrown in a plate, as I felt it was done in the case of my Thanksgiving dinner, but in the right combination of quality food, eye appeal and right flavors.


Susie’s is really the hottest place in town. The bar is really nice and the ambiance is superb, but they need to work on few details of their dinner experience to reach their standards they have apparently set for themselves.


As I end this review, allow me to take advantage of these celebrations and the true meaning of Thanksgiving to thank all the persons that read my blog and participate in good spirit.

Your support has been a true blessing.


So, my dear blog readers … keep on eating!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Susie's has excellent pastry and the dinner menu is limited but the food is good. The food however is over priced and they are not in that category yet to be charging those prices. One of the owners who I encounter regularly at the restaurant is a very pleasant person and there is ok service.

I have to say this especially for the pastries. The ingredients are excellent, presentation great, taste wonderful, variety ok, portions are those fit for anorexic super model.

Again, I know in one comment a railed against yankee sized grande portions but at Susie's I found the opposite anemic effect. I would recommend people to go for the food experience but do not expect your sweet tooth to be aching from an overdose of satisfaction it will be pleased with quality but not satiated.