A Gastronomic Travel to Jamaica's Restaurants

I certainly believe that a restaurant experience is made of quality food, quality ingredients, ambiance and service. Who does not enjoy a meal better when your palate is spoiled with the most delicious flavours, the freshness of the ingredients used in the preparation and, first and foremost, the service provided by the staff that works at that place? I am sure that you will be nodding a yes to this question... it is true! A culinary experience is COMPLETE only when those factors converge. Otherwise, there is something missing.

The idea behind this Blog is to start on a blank slate... let me say that I want to give a new opportunity to Jamaica's gastronomic scene... and I want to try it because it has grown and I am happy to see how new places appear and old place get a facelift!

However, this is not a one man's show... I want the help and recommendations of readers who, like me, enjoy the eating out experience. I'll be reporting on what I taste, smell, see and, particularly, on the way I am treated as a paying customer... we cannot forget that we are talking about money and we want QUALITY.

2008/11/09

DIM SUM disaster!


I feel kind of obliged to write this review.

Following the recommendation of a group of friends, I went to Dragon Court to try their DIM SUM, which means "heart's delight" and includes a variety of snacks such as steamed dumplings, shrimp balls, pastries, and spring rolls.

The place was packed and it was evident that the end of the service of DIM SUM was approaching. Even the Prime Minister was there! Sometimes the amount of people is a good thermometer to see if a place is good or not.

Well, let me say that this was not the case.

DIM SUM was good: spring rolls, buns of all sorts and steamed and fried dumplings. However, the service was really BAD and SLOW. We were served the first order and drinks arrived when we had already finished eating.

We decided to order some more food, but it was so disorganized that they brought us the same items we ordered first.

The food was good, but we were desirous of trying different items from their menu. Well no… they had already decided for us.

This was my first time there and I do not know if I want to come back. I don’t know if this chaos was caused by the presence of the PM or if it is their regular atmosphere.

Dragon Court should be more respectful of their clientele and pay more attention to the service they offer. It cannot be just a matter of numbers and pieces of papers where their slow servers take the orders; they should have a system and more efficient servers.

We, as clients, we want to enjoy our food and the experience that comes with it. CONFUSING is not the key to this experience!

So, my dear blog readers, DIM SUM at Dragon Court is not at all the synonym of a calm and peaceful SUNDAY.

Keep on eating!





7 comments:

She Who Weaves Words said...

I've never had Dim Sum before, but wow, should I go somewhere else to have it?

Anonymous said...

I think this may have been a one off experience. I go to dim sum at dragon court regularly and have never had a bad experience. Food and service are always great. Don't write it off as yet based on one experience.

Dim sum at Bamboo Village is always quite good. The earlier you go, the better.

Unknown said...

never been to Dim Sum there but I've been to Jade Garden (Sovereign Centre) and the service is pretty much the same when you go late for Dim Sum. the bits are usually tasty and the service is usually slow and they always bring items out in stages. So don't write it off. It's more the experience of sampling than anything else. If u liked the morsels (as u seemed to) give it another chance - go earlier - I think they start at 11 - and be prepared to eat items in stages.
O and u shouldn't call it a "disaster" if the food was good :-)

Jamaica Gourmet said...

I'll certainly give it another chance... I liked the food and that's why I only commented on the experience.

However, based on your comments, I'll go earlier next time!

FOOD was good... don't misunderstand me, but for what we paid for, I would have expected a better service.

Thank you for yor comments!

mad architect said...

I've had similar experiences at Dragon Court, but the food is marginal. I do prefer the Dim Sum at Jade in Sovereign. Not the ala carte version they do now but the buffet line. One could argue that it is not the conventional Dim Sum arrangement - but it made a difference as it took most of the stress off the wait staff.

Anonymous said...

Dim Sum! It enchants the Asian food to me in general. And among them the Chinese gastronomy. But I continue considering that the menus that offer the Chinese restaurants in Kingston are really boring. All offer the same and even with he himself flavor, it is as if they already bought the prepared food and single they warmed up it and you they served it. But good, they do what they can. With respect to the Dim Sum of the Court Dragoon, he is truly disastrous! And like following the jamaican tradition, the service is terrible.
It seems that they were doing it for the first time, but is not thus.

Crunchy Clown

Anonymous said...

Same problem: Jamaican restaurant have to improve their very bad service....
I don't think that the dragon is a good restaurant any way... completely agree with the comment of Crunchy Clown