A Gastronomic Travel to Jamaica's Restaurants

I certainly believe that a restaurant experience is made of quality food, quality ingredients, ambiance and service. Who does not enjoy a meal better when your palate is spoiled with the most delicious flavours, the freshness of the ingredients used in the preparation and, first and foremost, the service provided by the staff that works at that place? I am sure that you will be nodding a yes to this question... it is true! A culinary experience is COMPLETE only when those factors converge. Otherwise, there is something missing.

The idea behind this Blog is to start on a blank slate... let me say that I want to give a new opportunity to Jamaica's gastronomic scene... and I want to try it because it has grown and I am happy to see how new places appear and old place get a facelift!

However, this is not a one man's show... I want the help and recommendations of readers who, like me, enjoy the eating out experience. I'll be reporting on what I taste, smell, see and, particularly, on the way I am treated as a paying customer... we cannot forget that we are talking about money and we want QUALITY.

2008/12/05

Nothing express about KATANA EXPRESS

I was passing by Loshusan Shopping Centre and I decided to try KATANA EXPRESS, which is located inside the supermarket.

I had been here several times before and it seemed to me like a fair and nice option for a speedy lunch time. What gave this place the attribute of NICE was the service they provided because it was friendly, efficient and EXPRESS.

Well, those are things of the past. They have neglected their service and the quality of their food under the very same supervision of the owner.

I entered their little space at 12:35 PM and I was seated by the entrance. Suprinsingly, it took them approximately 10 minutes to come to my table and throw their menu at me. No explanation provided. Then, it took them around 15 minutes to come back and ask me if I was ready to order.

Finally, I did place my order and the food arrived 25 minutes later. Meanwhile, I was trying to figure out why the waitresses were so disorganized and why the owner, or who I supposed it is the owner, was peacefully sitting at a table in a corner without noticing the disdain and carelessly attitude of her staff.

Food wise, I have to say that Katana’s rolls were not really worth the price I paid for them and flavour was not outstanding at all. If they meant to be any kind of side option for East at the Marketplace, they have lost heir mark.

What really surprises me is that they were not able to maintain their service standards for the time they have been in operation. Although it has never been top quality sushi, it used to be a nice lunch experience... after all.

However, somewhere in that process, they dropped the ball.


Shame on them!

I do not recommend KATANA EXPRESS at all and I really encourage its owner to pay more attention to details such as dirty cutlery and plates, servers attitude and speed… after all they want to call themselves EXPRESS.

So, my dear blog reader, keep on eating!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. I miss the better service, ambiance and well prepared food (by Jamaican standarts)that they used to have at the Hilton Hotel.

Annie Paul said...

so they're not at the Hilton anymore?

Anonymous said...

No, they are no longer at the Hilton.

Rumor has it that the Hilton did not renew concession.

Anonymous said...

It really is a shame! Maybe the owner doesn't have a clue about customer service and needs to hire a professional and well rounded staff.

Anonymous said...

i do eat there occasionally i know lunch times very busy cus they do a lot of take out ,so i go odd hours like 2- 3 and not all the time East or koko Ro are as fresh too. And i think it is different management so they have to wrk things out . Miss them in Hliton too more space and waiters ...