A Gastronomic Travel to Jamaica's Restaurants

I certainly believe that a restaurant experience is made of quality food, quality ingredients, ambiance and service. Who does not enjoy a meal better when your palate is spoiled with the most delicious flavours, the freshness of the ingredients used in the preparation and, first and foremost, the service provided by the staff that works at that place? I am sure that you will be nodding a yes to this question... it is true! A culinary experience is COMPLETE only when those factors converge. Otherwise, there is something missing.

The idea behind this Blog is to start on a blank slate... let me say that I want to give a new opportunity to Jamaica's gastronomic scene... and I want to try it because it has grown and I am happy to see how new places appear and old place get a facelift!

However, this is not a one man's show... I want the help and recommendations of readers who, like me, enjoy the eating out experience. I'll be reporting on what I taste, smell, see and, particularly, on the way I am treated as a paying customer... we cannot forget that we are talking about money and we want QUALITY.

2008/08/29

You've got to try Pastry Passions


This Pastry haven at the Sovereign Centre has really given a new life to its food court. I would dare to say that it is now a pleasure thinking that you can get a dessert that tickles your palate in the right places and that this is coming from a FAST FOOD place.

Their concept is not bad at all... DESSERT FIRST with a touch of class. You can even see how the chef and assistants are working hard behind the counter putting together all sorts of delicious sweets.

For the people who, like me, have a sweet tooth, a place where you can go for a coffee and a nice sweet treat is always PARADISE... and who doesn't want to go THERE?

Another thing that makes me run back to that place, which is really one of the most important attributes of any place that sets sail in the restauration business is the quality of their SERVICE.

The cashiers are always smiling and the assistants are never cranky. Everybody there is eager to recommend their delicious preparations and, on top it all, they offer SAMPLES!

What a great IDEA...! I have been there trying to make up my mind in front of the myriad of treats that they offer and IN ALL THOSE OCCASIONS, there has always been someone that has approached me offering a sample of one of their dessert du jour!

I HIGHLY recommend the Appleton Bread Pudding and their most recent addition... LEMON SQUARE! The best that I have tried in town...! And I mean the BEST!

However, I would recommend to Pastry Passions to stick to the sweets, because that will result in a more coherent offer. Mixing savory and sweets for a FAST FOOD facility that wants to infuse some class into their offer translates sometimes in confusion to the clients.

Dear readers...keep on eating!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Jamaica Gourmet, I totally agree with your comments in relation to Pastry Passions! It is a magical little oasis amongst the bleak, shabby and outdated fast-food outlets and foodcourt at Kingston's Sovereign Center.

Amidst the horrors of an unclean and horribly salmon color painted walls of the foodcourt (which does very little to whet the appetite I might add!), arises Pastry Passions - the decor of this little bakery is amazing - it certainly lures you away from the disgraceful appearance of most of the surrounding outlets. The selection is vast, while prices are very reasonable, while I have enjoyed all of the treats I have tried there.

I, for one, will certainly be having dessert first on my next trip to Sovereign's otherwise nasty foodcourt!

Anonymous said...

I agree with our JG friend and Phillip. What a nice place!!! It's that happening in Kingston, at Sovereign's? Yeap!

Best service in town (Suzie's as well guys!!),tastee pastries, decoration, everything on place to go back again and again. Congrats to the owners! Maybe the idea will push others jamaican entrepreneurs to open more spots like this on the awful foodcourt at Kingston's Sovereign Center!!!!

Anonymous said...

I have not tried this place yet, but I certainly will after hearing these great remarks!

Drastic measures need to be taken with the food court at the Sovereign Center. The only places that look clean there are Island Grill, KFC,Pastry Passions and Little Tokyo. I don't go there often as I'm fed up with this country's celebration of fast food restaurants. Jamaican cuisine has come so far, why do we have to endure so many KFC places everywhere. I am also fed up with chicken in Jamaica! I'm seriously going to grow wings one of these days! I would love to see more authentic well cooked food in family owned Jamaican restaurants which offer alternatives to chicken. There are some excellent places out there, but not enough.

If you are in a hurry though, you can get a tasty meal for a very reasonable price at Little Tokyos at the Soverign food court. There is not a lot of selection, but what they do have is delicious - they are now offering Sushi too! Places like this, and Pastry passions, are very encouraging for Jamaica's culinary development. Down with KFC, bring it on Jamaican home grown businesses!!

Anonymous said...

Pastry Passion must haves:

Chocolate Raspberry Cake
Passion Fruit Cake
Red Velvet
Hummingbrid Cake
Rum Balls (personal favourite)
White Chocolate Cheesecake
Jerk Chicken Crepe
Ham and Cheese Crepe
Banana and Nutella Crepe

And yes, I am a Pastry Passion Addict!!!!

Anonymous said...

My family and I always go to Pastry Passions when we are in the Sovereign Centre. You must try the cupcakes and muffins --- fantastic. The lemon square is to die for with its intense lemony flavour. One of my favourites is the hummingbird cake, a subtle and delicious treat to which I am now addicted.

I think providing savory and sweet items is a good idea. Not everyone has a sweet tooth and some times you don't want something sweet. I think Pastry Passions is all about giving their customers choice and savory and sweet is just another aspect of that. I don't think it confuses anyone. They are called Pastry Passion and pastry can be sweet or savory.