A Gastronomic Travel to Jamaica's Restaurants

I certainly believe that a restaurant experience is made of quality food, quality ingredients, ambiance and service. Who does not enjoy a meal better when your palate is spoiled with the most delicious flavours, the freshness of the ingredients used in the preparation and, first and foremost, the service provided by the staff that works at that place? I am sure that you will be nodding a yes to this question... it is true! A culinary experience is COMPLETE only when those factors converge. Otherwise, there is something missing.

The idea behind this Blog is to start on a blank slate... let me say that I want to give a new opportunity to Jamaica's gastronomic scene... and I want to try it because it has grown and I am happy to see how new places appear and old place get a facelift!

However, this is not a one man's show... I want the help and recommendations of readers who, like me, enjoy the eating out experience. I'll be reporting on what I taste, smell, see and, particularly, on the way I am treated as a paying customer... we cannot forget that we are talking about money and we want QUALITY.

2008/08/30

Oh... TGIF!


I have given a try to TGIF several times, but it does not seem to conquer me. I was very enthusiastic about this place when they first opened in 2005 because it really offered a new alternative for a nice food at a good price. However, it seems that time has caught up with them and they have not made any effort o keep themselves up to date. Even this American food chain has tried to remain "cool" in the USA by adding new plates to their menus, improving their service formula and being creative.

Here in Jamaica they seem to be at a STANDSTILL. Although, servers really make an effort to keep their smiles ON at all times, the quality of the food has gone downhill. The famous TGIF's burgers are really meager and their steaks are almost invisible in size, just to mention a couple of examples.

I was there today, against my will, I should say, and it was SAD to see the level of deterioration that this restaurant has suffered. Worn out menus, damaged lamps, dirty wood boards... it was a SAD spectacle.

I went for a sure choice and ordered a fajita dish and I think that I was the luckiest on our table. My colleagues' dishes were not really appetizing and we rushed through our meals to get out of the place as soon as we could.

Notwithstanding, I have to say that the service was GOOD and the girl who served us was smiling and helpful.

I certainly believe that they need to rethink their place. Add some local dishes, TGIF style, reprint their menus, speed up the serving process, lower the music and give a in-depth clean to their place.

TGIF has a lovely location, but I think that it has not embraced Jamaica yet. We should demand that as customers... they need to be reminded that they have to keep up with our standards. We demand innovation, quality food, nice service and creativity and this has to be be part of the new GAME of the sports bar.

So, my blog readers, give me a hand in letting our dear TGIF people know that we still want of them, but we want them to be GOOD... not AVERAGE!

Keep on eating!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

CONGRATS!!!! good idea & looking foward to hear from your next ones...

Unknown said...

TGIF's in Kingston is dangerously overrated! Although I admit to eating there on a regular basis, I have to agree with Jamaica Gourmet's views. The place itself has become very shabby and is in severe need of an overhaul. Just because the place is usually busy should not take away from the fact that the chain's managers need to examine issues such as cleanliness and quality of the product. TGIF's name is at stake here.

While servers are for the most part friendly, I do wonder sometimes if it is the customer who should be having the party or them! I have frequently seen servers huddled together behind the bar area or in the little hallways leading to the toilets having a chat and a joke, while their tables wait. I like the fact they are enjoying work, but at who's expense? Nevertheless, I must admit that this generalisation should not take away from the excellent service provided by most of the waiting staff there. The welcome is ALWAYS excellent, and is ultimately the reason why I return. If the food doesn't begin to improve however, I fear I may not return so often!

Anonymous said...

TGIF could be the PLACE in Kingston and it´s really not. Well located, enough parking and near everything, the management has to improve the quality of the service (some more trainning please for the nice young people)and the food.
My last experience was very bad: music so loud (it's was almost impossible to speak with my family), my chicken salad was completly dry and when I asked for a little dressing the reaction of the waiter wasn't good enough for me. The sodas were terrible and the place look dirty. Guys, TGIF is a place preferred for most of the foreigners living in Kingston because, it´s a different option for them. Everyone knows the brand all over the world.
Dont's underestimate this and take some action to improve the concept please.

Anonymous said...

TGIF wow what I can I say. I can rant about generic International causal dinning north american restaurants "Ruby Tuesdays, Tony Roma" with Generically Bland food and Yankee portions that sometimes are unreal and unnecessary in this world of increasing type 2 diabetes. I could hold on to an orthodoxy like brother Hugo Chavez and say anything from the USA is bad. However, I won't. All the Genericism I said about TGIF is true but I have the restaurant marks for: Location (Although parking can be an adventure); decor (but you know the resturant is allowed to update every year or 18 months which they have not) and the bar.

The Bar is under-rated I had some mixed drinks including some with bombay sapphire they came out well. Also, they have vents in the bar area to allow degenerate smokers and there ilk to light up and for the smoke not to affect other dinners. And yes sometimes on that probability of 1 out of 10 visits you get something that is pleasantly good like the buffalo chicken salad with blue cheese dressing. Otherwise, most of the time the food is comforting but unexciting and too much of the time bland to a caribbean palette.

Another side topic if I ever have time and I do not think this is the place is the prevalence of these casual dinning chains outside north america. From my travels and associations around the region (Costa Rica, Honduras, Trinidad) they seem to be getting popular. I wonder if that is good thing?